Finding mold in your home can bring your life to a grinding halt, and those types of outbreaks are frighteningly common. If you have recently discovered any moldy patches in your basement, then you must act immediately if you want to protect your family and home.
Isolate the Affected Areas
Exposing yourself to mold is incredibly dangerous, and the spores cause a wide variety of serious health complications. As soon as you notice any signs of mold, you must immediately isolate the area so that no one breathes in the spores. At the very least, you need to close the door, open a window, and turn on a small fan. Those few steps will lower the humidity in the basement and hopefully kill off some of the mold spores.
Identify the Cause
Tracking down the root cause of mold is never going to be an easy task, but there are a few common issues that you might want to keep an eye out for. In most residential homes, mold is the result of a leaky faucet or pipe. If your pipes are undamaged, then there could be groundwater seeping into your basement. To catch some of those issues, you should consider investing in a few moisture detectors. Those small devices emit a loud beep whenever there is too much moisture in the air.
Hire a Mold Removal Company
Mold remediation is very hazardous, and you should never tackle that type of project on your own. Even if you do everything in your power to stay safe, you could still track the spores through your home on accident. Mold removal companies have specialized tools and products that allow them to quickly and safely remove these infestations. One of those companies can also help you come up with a long-term plan for preventing future mold outbreaks.
Keep an Eye on Your Family’s Health
After the mold has been cleared out, you must keep track of your family’s respiratory health. After inhaling mold spores for a lengthy period of time, you might begin to notice issues such as severe allergies, regular nosebleeds, and itchy eyes. If you are struggling with any of those side effects, then you should schedule a comprehensive checkup with your doctor.
A mold outbreak is a serious issue that should never be ignored, and those spores can result in a wide variety of major health complications. That is why you must regularly inspect every inch of your home for any signs of mold or mildew.