Teeth that is really white, as in the case of Hollywood stars, isn’t the teeth’s natural color. It has been bleached to perfection and treatments were done to create the effect. It’s possible to do this, and also do other inexpensive teeth care treatments in the comforts of your home, though. And some of the ways you can care for your teeth also involves little sacrifices.
Foods That Can Stain
You might not be aware of it, but the food you’re eating can cause staining and discoloration, as well as make the teeth’s enamel softer and more prone to damages. But that’s not to say it should be avoided altogether, because there are many health benefits to eating some of these foods. It should be noted, however, that staining could occur with regular eating or drinking.
- Drinking coffee or tea, for example, browns the teeth. It’s the same for eating berries and food with dark sauces.
- A soda’s acidic content can hurt the enamel and also cause some staining, as it becomes more vulnerable.
- Even cigarette smoking turns the teeth darker, with patches of nicotine clinging through the gums.
The good thing is, you can always clean this — and this is where proper hygiene and care come in — with regular brushing, gargling and flossing. Yet sometimes, there are really hard to reach places that may be overlooked. If kept unclean, it can make the stain more prominent and it will definitely cause a gradual discoloration. This is the reason why dentists recommend going to their clinic at least twice a year. If not for getting a treatment or check-up, your teeth can then be cleaned thoroughly with the proper tools.
Teeth Whitening At Home
While it’s best to let the dentist take care of stubborn stains, you can still do a few teeth whitening techniques at home.
- Baking Soda. Some people say that baking soda actually helps and many types of toothpaste do contain this in their ingredients. Pure baking soda, however, delivers a stronger effect. Only, it may not taste as good as actual toothpastes.
- Drugstore Finds. There are plenty of drugstore finds for whitening teeth, such as trips, pen and gels, which cost less than actual bleaching at the dentist’s clinic. And it may help to use this once every few months with your oral hygiene routine. These whitening kits are safe, although some make contain a peroxide-based ingredient that may have been restricted for use in other countries. Follow the directions properly and never overdo what is required or indicated in the packet. Putting on too much whitening can also make the teeth too white that you won’t be able to flash your smile with it.
But do take note, that any form of bleaching or whitening treatments can actually affect the surface of the teeth as stain removal can cause abrasions. Sometimes, the teeth can become so brittle because of it; this is why it’s only advisable to do this every once in a while.
Good health also includes proper dental care and hygiene. Having proper dental habits is also important to braces care. Learn more tips on how much do braces cost, dental braces adjustment, and other teeth concerns at BracesCostInfo.com.