So you’ve invited all your guests over and you have cooked a lovely meal, ready to host a smashing dinner party. However, the time has come to set the table and you are fresh out of inspiration!
When you are hosting a dinner party, the table settings are very important to the overall mood of the evening and they create an important impression on your guests. Rather than just a few plates and forks, the table should be set in a decorative and festive way which lets your guests know that this is a special occasion.
Setting the table can be quite fun and creative, so approach it like an art project! Here are some things to remember when you are putting together your beautiful dinner party table:
- First of all, you will need to determine how many guests you have and how they will all fit comfortably. You might need to bring in another table to accommodate everyone.
- The next step is to think about what food you will be serving. For example, if you are serving soup your guests will need soup bowls and a soup spoon, etc.
- Next, choose a tablecloth or placemats to protect the table which reflects the theme you are going for. It could be anything from a pattered tablecloth to natural woven mats.
- Next, decide on a centrepiece which will be the focal point of the table. It could be a vase of flowers or some candles or a small sculpture. Make sure that the centrepiece is not too big or tall, because it will block guests from seeing each other across the table.
- If you would like your dinner plates to look more formal, you can use a charger underneath them which is a larger more decorative plate.
- Look up a diagram for the proper placement of the cutlery around the plate. For example, the fork should be on the left of the plate and the spoon and the knife should be to the right.
- Once you have the plate and cutlery artfully arranged the next step is the napkin. They are usually placed on the centre of the plate but can also be to the left of the forks or neatly arranged inside the drinking glass.
- You can get festive napkin rings and holders to make your napkins look more formal.
Now that your table is set, you are ready to invite your guests to sit down for a lovely meal!
Here are some tips for setting the table and making sure that your party plates and glasses look beautiful before the guests arrive at your dinner party.