If you are a parent and your kids like to swim, then you are fully aware of how often your kids may come to you asking for ideas of games that they can play in the pool. If you are trying to brainstorm fun games to play while swimming, here are 5 things to consider:
- Marco Polo- Marco Polo is one of the all time greats when it comes to pool games. If you are looking for something fun to do in the pool then you should never forget to try Marco Polo. This game is very easy to play but can provide hours of entertainment. If you are trying to come up with ideas of games your kids can play this is also a game that will work very well for them. Take some time to sit them down and teach them how to play the game. Once they get a taste for how fun it can be, chances are they won’t want to stop.
- Have a race- You can turn a race into a game. See which one of you is the fastest swimming. Try racing at different lengths of the pool and also switch up the stroke so that everyone has an equal shot at winning. Racing is a great way to get some exercise while you play in the pool.
- Play some volleyball- Another great game to play in the pool is water volley ball. There are special nets that are designed to work with play pools and you can set them up and have a good game with friends and family. Pool volleyball is a lot harder than it looks and makes for great exercise in addition to the good fun.
- Diving contest- While you should never dive in a shallow pool, if the pool you are in has a deep end, there is nothing wrong with having a diving contest. There is a lot of room for competitive and fun with a diving contest and you would be surprised how well the average person can do with a diving.
- Cannon ball contest- If you are looking for something to do in the pool then you should definitely consider having a cannon ball contest. Take turns seeing who can make the biggest splash in the pool and who can come up with the most original cannon ball maneuver. If you are going have a cannon ball contest, however, make sure that the pool has an adequate diving area.
No matter what game you end up choosing there is no reason why you can’t have fun. When all is said and done, your very first priority when visiting the pool should be safety. If you make sure to practice safe habits while swimming then you can have tons of fun without worrying about any accidents.
Katie is a freelance writer for Valley Goldmine Tucson.