As we’re coming to the end of summer it;s not uncommon to have dried, limp hair from sun damage and too much exposure to the sea, so one of the best ways of bringing the shine back to your hair is with a hair mask!
Hair masks work to improve the condition of your hair, but can also cost a fortune if you’re using them regularly. Instead, why not try your hand at making your own? It’s a really fun hobby, and by making your hair mask yourself you can be sure they don’t contain any chemicals that might be harmful or damaging to your hair and scalp.
Here are some great revitalizing hair mask recipies that use almost only ingredients that can be found in your fridge…
Banana and Avocado Hair Mask
I bet you didn’t know avocado pulp is great for stimulating hair growth! Plus it hydrates and rejuvenates too so it’s no wonder avocado oil can actually be found in a lot of common hair products.
Here’s a recipe that mixes it together with nourishing banana for a beautiful head of glossy hair. Use this recipe twice monthly for healthy hair!
- Blend together 1 banana, 1 egg, and ½ an avocado into a mixing bowl, before adding 2tbsp honey, 3tbsp buttermilk and 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Apply to your hair all over, then cover and leave in for 30 minutes.
- Wash out the mixture after the time limit before shampooing as normal.
Sunflower Oil Hair Mask
This single-ingredient ‘mask’ is especially good for dried out hair as sunflower oil acts as a deeply penetrating moisturizer. It’s perfect if you’ve got sun-damaged or colour-treated locks! The oil also has smoothing properties and will ensure your hair is silky smooth and soft by the end of the treatment.
This treatment can be used twice monthly or monthly depending on your hair’s condition. You can also add 2 tbsp of honey to this recipe for extra glossy locks.
- Wet your hair without washing it, then towel dry.
- Apply a generous amount of sunflower oil onto your scalp and massage in from roots to tips.
- Comb your hair through to prevent knotting, then cover hair in a hot, wet towel for between 30-60 minutes, depending on the condition of your hair.
- Wash the oil out and shampoo thoroughly to remove any traces of oil.
Yoghurt Hair Mask
This mask will work well on frizzy, dry hair as it will moisturise and hydrate your hair, as well as softening and strengthening the follicles. This recipe can be used weekly for especially dry hair, or every two weeks for hair that is extra dry or damaged.
- Wet hair without shampooing.
- Beat 1 egg white before mixing this with ¼ cup of organic plain yoghurt and ¼ cup of mayonnaise.
- Massage the mixture into your hair before covering and leaving for 30 minutes.
- Wash the mask out of your hair using luke-warm water and shampoo, ensuring all residues of the mask are removed.
Those are my hair mask recipe ideas – have any more to add?
Michelle Star is a beauty blogger with a passion for homespun haircare. She likes to mix up her own shampoos and conditioners in the kitchen for a cheaper, organic alternative to store-bought products.