Many people realize that one of the first things they should do in the event of an automobile accident is to contact a personal injury lawyer if they were not at fault. However many people incorrectly assume that automobile accidents are the only kind of cases that personal injury lawyers handle.
Personal injury lawyers actually deal with a variety of “personal injury” cases. They can range from actual physical harm to emotional stress. Some personal injuries are the results of an individual using a product as directed, but the company didn’t run complete tests or mislabeled the product.
Other Situations Where We Might Need a Personal Injury Lawyer
Aside from automobile accidents, here are some other types of cases that a personal injury lawyer will handle:
- Medical Malpractice – Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor or hospital fails to diagnose a problem, perform a misdiagnosis, comment errors while the patient is under their care (such as getting a patients information mixed up with another patient’s), surgical errors, and even birth injuries.
- Prescription Negligence – This occurs when a pharmacist fills a prescription with the incorrect medicine or supplies the patient with the incorrect dosage.
- Construction Site Accidents – These are accidents that occur on a construction site and can be caused by faulty equipment, negligent use of equipment, falling objects, and improperly constructed scaffolding.
- Product Liability – Product liability is when a consumer uses a product as advised and experiences injury, illness, or even death as a result.
- Boating Accidents – Boating accidents result from the misuse of a boat. These accidents can be two or more boats colliding into one another or someone losing control of their boat and damaging someone’s property.
- Railroad Injuries – This occur when a person is injured while riding a train and can be caused by conductor negligence, faulty equipment on the train, worn down train tracks, or signal errors at railroad crossings.
- Aviation Accidents – Accidents that occur on an airplane and are usually caused by air traffic control error, weather conditions, lack of proper maintenance, mechanical problems, contaminated fuel, FAA regulation violations, structural or design deficiencies, defective plane parts, pilot error, and flight employee negligence.
- Premises Liability / Negligent Security – These accidents occur when a property owners doesn’t take the necessary steps to ensure the safety of visitors to their property. This includes slippery walkways, defective lighting, missing handrails, unsupervised swimming pools, toxic substances, inadequate security, and dog attacks.
If your rights were violated, do not hesitate to contact a personal injury lawyer to see about being compensated.