Also called periodontal disease, gum disease is an infection in the gums that is painless initially and tends to develop slowly over time. It is one of the most significant causes of tooth loss in adults and generally occurs because of plaque buildup on the tooth. If the infection is in its initial stages and is not too bad, there are some steps that can be taken for stopping and preventing this disease or infection. However, if the infection worsens and gets severe, it could give rise to a multitude of problems amongst people that include stroke, heart disease and artery blockage.
Following the below mentioned steps can control the problem and eliminate it before it gets worse:
- Teeth should be brushed twice a day, without fail. The teeth and gums should be brushed gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Brushing in the morning as soon as you wake up is recommended because plaque and bacteria tend to build up during the night. Teeth should also be brushed after taking the last meal of the day as it also clears off any plaque.
- Flossing twice a day between the teeth is also advised. Dental floss is typically used, but people can also use a toothpick if they wish. Cleaning the area between the teeth is difficult with a toothbrush and this can lead to plaque buildup. Toothpicks and dental floss reach between the teeth to clean them out.
- For cleaning between the teeth, people can use proxy brushes or interproximal or interdental cleaners. Because they have tiny bristles, proxy brushes are not similar to dental floss. Plaque between the teeth is scraped with these bristles. Also, regular floss can be controlled as it has a handle, but interdental cleaner do not.
- gum disease can also be prevented with a healthy diet in the long run. People should eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. They should reduce consumption of soda, candy and sugar. Periodontal disease can be avoided with healthy food consumption.
- Tobacco products should not be used by people because it causes inflammation in the gum tissue. An existing disease can get worse because of this inflammation and turn into periodontitis from gingivitis. Periodontitis is not easy to treat and can cause various health problems. Moreover, it is also highly painful and can cause sleepless nights, difficulty in eating and drinking, bleeding gums and bad breath. Therefore, it is safer to avoid tobacco products.
- One of the most important steps that should be taken involves regular visits to the dentists. For ensuring the best health of gums and teeth, dental visits should be scheduled after every six months. If disease is suspected, people should visit the dentist more frequently to identify the disease. The quicker the symptoms of the disease or infection are identified, the easier it will be to get it treated before it worsens. The dentists can check the progress of the disease and use proper measures for getting rid of it.
With these steps, people can avoid and expurgate gum disease.