If you are a permanent resident of Canada and you want your partner to come and live with you then Canada has put up a very straightforward system to make them come and live with you and be a permanent citizen of the country. The Canadian Immigration Spouse Visa is a sub-category of the Family Class immigration stream.
The general way of doing this is that a member of the family who is also a current official citizen of Canada sponsors the other family member who is eligible to be granted citizenship under the Spousal Sponsorship Program.
What relationships must the person have with the person being sponsored?
In order to receive spouse visitor visa Canada the sponsor and the person who is being sponsored must prove that their relationship falls under one of the following three categories:
- Common-law Partner – It is a partner with whom we have been living together in a married-like relationship for at least a year or more.
- Conjugal Partner – It means that the two persons are in a marriage like relationship but are not married and have not lived with each other for a period of at least one year due to some unavoidable circumstances. The IRCC is the body which is responsible for granting the couple this status.
Are you sure you have a conjugal relationship?
So you want someone special to be living right next to you in the new country that you are a citizen now. But that person isn’t your spouse. So you need to be sure that at least some of the following terms are satisfied for the consideration of your Canadian Immigration Spouse Visa:
- Whether the relationship has been running long enough.
- There is a mutual acceptance that you two are couples and want to spend the rest of your life with each other.
- You are sexually exclusive to each other and are very close.
- A desire to live with all the happening and sharing of responsibilities among you two.
- Whether the two persons are emotionally, financially and physically dependent on each other.
- Whether the two partners have offspring together or are taking care of them together.
- Whether you have the required documents to show why you two have not been living together and if the conjugal relationship is genuine.
Can you be a Sponsor?
The following points need to be taken care of if you want to be a sponsor:
- Are you 18 years of age?
- Are you a citizen or permanent resident of Canada?
- Have you been charged with a serious offence or have been in prison or are you bankrupt?
- Have you been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within a span of last five years?
To summarise all this, the Canadian government has laid out a well sorted and clear instructions to you if you want someone close to get a Canadian Immigration Spouse Visa. The applicants may also be called for an interview by the Canadian Embassy. Same-sex marriages are also allowed to take sponsorship of a spouse, for those who have been married in Canada.