Real estate fractional ownership enables people to purchase a fraction of a property in a desirable location. Unlike timeshares, those who invest in fractional ownership actually receive a deed for their portion of the house. They can sell their portion at any time or leave it to someone in their will. If you sign a timeshare contract, you will simply be renting the timeshare for a set period of time, and you will have no ownership in the property.
Fractional ownership real estate properties are maintained by either a real estate company or a large corporate overhead. In some instances, they are designed more like resorts. The eight destinations listed below are prime examples of resort styled properties that are in some of the most desirable locations.
The Top Eight Fractional Ownership Destinations
1. Lake Tahoe, California – The Ritz-Carlton Club in Lake Tahoe offers amazing mountain views and a membership to the Northstar-at-Tahoe ski resort. Golf privileges are also included, along with a heated pool and a private fitness center.
2. San Francisco, California – Fractional ownership in the Ritz-Carlton Destination Club of San Francisco comes with a luxuriously appointed one, two or three bedroom residence inside the extensively restored, historical Chronicle Building. Valet parking, a private lounge and daily housekeeping options are available.
3. Aspen, Colorado – The Aspen Highlands Ritz-Carlton Club Resort is situated at the base of a magnificent mountain that contains 125 ski trails. Each residence has a fully equipped gourmet kitchen, a stone fireplace and heated Italian marble floors in the master bathroom.
4. Bachelor Gulch, Colorado – Fractional owners of a residence at the Bachelor Gulch Ritz-Carlton Club will spend their vacations enjoying the club’s many luxuries. The staff will stock the kitchen with your family’s favorite food and schedule all of your dinner reservations before you arrive. You will also have easy access to skiing or golfing opportunities.
5. Vail, Colorado – The Ritz-Carlton Club Vail allows fractional owners to take full advantage of one of the most desirable ski destinations in the world. Each residence has a gas fireplace, hardwood floors, walk-in closets and coffered ceilings. Access to the Red Sky Ranch golf club is also available.
6. Jupiter, Florida – If beauty and seclusion are your idea of a delightful environment, then fractional ownership at the Ritz-Carlton Club in Jupiter may be exactly what you are looking for. Each residence comes with a private outdoor whirlpool, a furnished and screened lanais and elegant, Mediterranean-inspired furnishings. Fractional owners will be able to sign up for a membership at the Jack Nicklaus signature 18-hole golf course.
7. Maui, Hawaii – The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua Resort provides fractional owners with a stunning view of the ocean and mountains, along with access to the Plantation and Bay Golf Courses, the Kapalua Spa and the Kapalua Bay Beach Club. Each residence has Brazilian hardwood floors, designer bathrooms and a gourmet kitchen.
8. Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands – Fractional owners of a residence at the Ritz-Carlton Club in Saint Thomas will enjoy the view that comes from being located on 30 acres of oceanfront property. A luxury catamaran can be used for day sailing, and each residence comes with a private dining lounge.
With all of these amazing options, the only hard part is deciding which location to pick. Fractional owners can choose which type of membership they desire and the location they choose for their membership.
Katie Hewatt is an avid traveler and real estate agent who writes for the Ritz-Carlton Club, a luxurious resort club located in the most desirable vacation locations. The Ritz-Carlton offers two different fractional ownership real estate options, a portfolio membership and a home membership. A portfolio membership allows fractional owners to choose a different location and type of accommodations every time they travel. A home club membership allows fractional owners 21-35 days annually at the same location each time they travel.