The amazing benefit of being a backpacker in New Zealand is that they will have the time to discover amazing parts of the country away from the tourist crowds. So here is a list of some of the best places off the beaten track in the North Island. It is very much convenient to find many B&B Auckland Accommodation for the budget backpacker for the ultimate Kiwi vacation.
• White Island: Just 49km off the coast of Whakatane, New Zealand’s active marine volcano can be found. You can constantly see the smoke from White Island’s volcanic activity from the mainland on a clear day. You can visit this island by taking a boat tour and also take a walk on its inner crater.
• Karangahake Gorge: Wander into the dark railway tunnels of this historic gold mining location. Along with steel truss bridges, you can take this walk in the beautiful setting of Ohinemuri River gorge.
• Doubtless Bay: If you are looking for safe uncrowded swimming beaches in North Island, Doubtless Bay has about 60km of untouched coastline. You can take a swim, take a walk along the pohutukawa-fringed beaches, and also catch a glimpse of the dolphins and orca out in the bay. A similar beach experience as to the Bay of Islands but without the crowds.
• Tawharanui Marine reserve: The Tawharanui Marine Reserve is just off the Tawharanui Peninsula. This
area is known especially for attracting around 50 species of fish, as well as bottlenose dolphins and orcas.
• Mt Hikurangi: This mountain holds a huge significance, as it is agreed as being the first point on the mainland to see the sunrise. Also according to the Maori legend, the mountain is the resting place of the waka (canoe) of Maui who fished up the North Island. Walking tours will take you up Mt Hikurangi.
• Kapiti Island: Kapiti Island gets its name and fame from the delicious ice cream brand that goes by the same name. The island in actual is a bird sanctuary, full of walking tracks and a great place to go kiwi spotting and kayaking. The abundance of marine life surrounding the island makes it ideal for scuba diving and fishing. Try out a B&B Titirangi Accommodation or any other Bed and Breakfast in North Island to get the most out of your trip to the North Island.