Food allergies are very common in children and parents are forever worried about the deteriorating health of their kids. In fact allergies can be really painful particularly for infants, because it is not easy to determine the exact cause of the allergy. As far as food allergies in children are concerned, it is essential to know what foods can cause allergic reactions. The following ingredients are commonly identified as allergens or sources of allergies:
Ingredients that can cause Allergy in Children:
- Gluten: This is one of the most common ingredients known for causing allergies in children. If your child is sensitive towards some food containing gluten, that food should be stopped immediately.
- Sensitivity towards lactose is common in many children. In fact, some of them cannot have milk or other dairy products due to lactose intolerance.
- Seafood is another common reason that may cause allergy in children.
While buying food for children, it is necessary to check the label on the container where you will get information about the ingredients from which were used for the food item to be prepared. Therefore, if any of those ingredients cause allergy, they should be avoided.
On the other hand, the common food items that are usually consumed by children regularly may also cause allergy sometimes. However, not all children are allergic to every food item although the following items may cause food allergies in children:
Common Food Items known to cause problems:
- Egg: Eggs are high in nutrients containing essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals and egg yolk containing high amount of calories. However, it has been noted that they are the most common source of food allergies in children. While some children are sensitive to egg white, others may have allergy to the yolk. The allergy may disappear after the age of six in some children, whereas other children may suffer from nasal block or similar allergies.
- Cereals: Cereals can also cause allergies in children particularly wheat although some children have shown allergic reactions to rice, oat, barley or any other cereal-based foods. Children are generally advised to consume a wheat free diet if they are allergic to it or any other cereal.
- Peanuts: Peanuts can cause severe food allergies in children particularly in those, who have asthma. As a matter of fact, the allergy caused by peanuts remains for a longer time and is the least likely to disappear even in the later part of life.
- Soybean: It may also cause allergy in children although the consequences are rarely severe. However, soy rich foods are to be avoided in those children, who are known to develop allergies towards the same.
Symptoms of Allergy:
Parents should look for certain symptoms while detecting allergy caused by food in children. While the symptoms may vary from one kid to the other, common symptoms are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, itching, breathing difficulties, swelling and cramps. In case of abnormal reactions in the body over specific food items, parents should immediately inform the doctor to get the necessary treatment immediately particularly in case of life threatening allergies.
Gergana Petrushanova is working for a Danish company (Neutral) which specializes with dealing with food allergies in children or also known in Danish as allergi børn.