Allergies do not only occur internally, the same occur externally on the skin where you are bound to experience various symptoms. This usually the case with sensitive skin through which chemicals released by the body’s immune system end up once an allergen is detected on the skin. Having a sensitive skin on which an allergen lands immediately activates your body’s immune system, which releases chemicals to fight the allergen. It is the resultant reaction that causes defects on your skin.
The most common areas of your skin on which you are bound to experience skin allergy symptoms are on the hands and on your face. This is because they are the most exposed parts of your skin. Like with other types of allergy there are mild and severe skin allergies. Mild skin allergies include skin rashes, blisters and scaling. Severe skin allergy symptoms include eczema or contact dermatitis, hives and Angioedema. Eczema presents as a red rash that is itchy. Left untreated, eczema can cause severe infections.
Diagnosing skin allergy is very involving. This is because an allergist or physician must ascertain and differentiate the cause(s) of symptoms that occur on your skin. Your family history, diet, blood and skin test (skin biopsy) may become necessary for proper diagnosis.
Natural Treatment Methods
While there are various conventional skin allergy treatment methods available including medications, shots and topical applications, there are also natural treatment methods that have not only been used for decades but are also very effective in combating skin allergies. These include:
- Bananas – Bananas are not only fruits; they are very effective in combating ski allergies. While eating ripe bananas fortifies the body’s immune system to fight any disease-causing organisms, ash obtained from banana skin contains potassium and other powerful anti-oxidants that are very effective in eradicating inflammations that occur on the skin.
- Oatmeal bath – Oatmeal is not only a very good skin moisturizer, it has valuable medicinal properties. Boiling a handful of rolled Oatmeal and washing with the resultant warm water easily eradicates skin conditions including skin allergy.
- Green tea – Green tea has been used for decades to treat various skin ailments. While drinking green tea helps your body both internally and externally, sponging your skin with left-over green tea bags effectively eradicates inflammations on the skin. This is because green tea is very rich in antibacterial and anti-inflammatory elements.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea Tree oil is a very powerful antiseptic that has been use for decades in addressing various skin conditions. Its use however requires that you first test it on your skin for any signs of allergy.
- Sandalwood paste – Grinding Sandalwood and creating a paste out of the same that you apply on your skin is a very effective way of treating skin allergy. It is particularly effective in treating skin allergy symptoms that appear as burns.
- Fruits and Vegetables – Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is a sure way of not only having a healthy skin but also an effective way to treat skin allergy. This is because both fruits and vegetables contain varied vitamins like vitamin C, minerals and essential fatty acids that easily combat any infection on the skin.
The fact that these natural skin allergy treatments have been used for decades coupled with the fact that they have been scientifically proven to work means that you should find them effective and safe to use whenever you have a skin allergy.
Simon Parker enjoys writing about what is skin allergy (interesting to know is that the Danish term is Hvad er allergi hud) in various blogs online. Currently he works for a Danish company called Neutral.