Every home is different and it is important to choose fixtures that are ideal for your home. They are a big part of the décor and it is important to ensure that they complement and not clash with the overall design. If you are looking at ways to renovate your home, the simple act of installing new light fixtures can make a big difference in enhancing the home.
There are many different types of light fixtures in the market and you can find the type that matches your design needs. There are four types of lighting that can be used in different rooms of the home.
- Ambient lights – This type of lighting illuminates the entire space and it is adequate to allow general functions like moving about the room. This type of lighting is used for every room and it is mainly installed in the ceiling. Many fixtures can be used to create this soft light.
- Task lights – This type of lighting is more specific and is directed at areas where specific tasks are performed. It is bright and it allows tasks that require adequate lighting, to be performed with ease. Task lighting is used for reading lights, lighting food preparation areas, providing lighting for bathroom mirrors, and other uses.
- Accent lights – This type of lighting is mainly used to create mood or direct focus to certain locations. Much like the task lighting, accent lighting directs the illumination to a specific item like a painting, crafts of even architecture. These types of lights are mainly used as a decorating tool.
- Decorative lights – These are lights that draw attention to themselves. They are more about beauty than function and can act as a centerpiece of a room. Great examples of decorative lights are the elaborate chandeliers installed in dining rooms and other areas. Choosing the right decorative light is very important for creating the desired effect.
Choosing the right light fixture
Once you have determined the type of lighting you need for your home, you need to look for the best fixtures. These fixtures will ensure that you get the illumination you need without the additional glare. Choosing the right design is important is ensuring that you create a beautiful space. Below are some of the tips you can use when choosing light fixtures.
Materials – You will need to select fixtures made from materials that are perfect for your décor. There are different materials used in making the fixtures and they include glass, plastic, aluminum, wrought iron, steel, fiber and many more. The style or design of your home will determine the materials you should select.
Fixtures that are perfect for a modern home will not look too good in a Victorian or traditional home. Outdoor lighting fixtures are often made of strong and durable materials that ensure that the fixtures withstand the different weather conditions.
Style – You should choose the style that is most appropriate for every room in your home. If you have low ceilings in your home, you should avoid hanging chandeliers. You should instead look for recessed ceiling lights that will create a better atmosphere for your home.
While portable lamps are perfect for the living room and bedrooms, they should not be used in the bathroom or the kitchen where they can fall and be exposed to water. The lamps are ideal because they are versatile and can be used in different parts of the room. Fixtures made for the exterior of the home should not be used in the interior and vice versa.
Illumination – You should choose fixtures that offer the illumination that you need. If you want a nice romantic atmosphere, you should avoid bright lights. Dimmer switches can also be installed to create the required illumination. You should also get the right task lights for areas where you require direct lighting.
Choosing the right bulbs is also important when you want to provide the needed illumination. Choosing energy saving bulbs will provide beauty and function, while helping you to save on energy costs. Colored bulbs can also be used to create different lighting effects in the room.
All in all, when shopping for lighting fixtures, you should consider your budget, the size and type of your home, and your personal style. Simply put, you should strive to create a look that is perfect for your home!
- License: Creative Commons image source
- License: Creative Commons image source
Chad is enthusiastic about home renovation and writes about different ways to enhance the home design. He has written extensively about wall packs as a fantastic lighting option in other articles too.