When you are cleaning your apartment, office or workplace, don’t forget about the fire sprinkler heads of your automatic fire sprinkler system.
Having an automatic fire sprinkler system is somewhat like having a fire fighter standing guard in your home at any point, ready to spray the flames as soon as they begin to erupt. These important pieces of equipment will protect you in the event of a fire so they need to be cleaned every now and then to ensure that no dust and cobwebs are blocking their sensors. However, this is a very difficult cleaning task because the sprinkler heads are so sensitive and they can break open when they are only slightly bumped, spraying high pressure water everywhere.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to clean your fire sprinkler system the right way:
- First of all, use a vacuum hose attachment to gently suck away all of the dust and debris which might have gathered around the fire sprinkler head. Be very careful not to touch the sprinkler head with the vacuum nozzle.
- The next step is to get a damp rag and wipe the wall area which surrounds the fire sprinkler head. This can also help you to clear away any cobwebs which might be in the area.
- Buy a can of compressed air, like you might use to clean out the fan and keyboard on your computer. Use it to gently spray down the surface of the fire sprinkler head to remove dust, dirt and further cobwebs. When you are doing this, never turn the can of air upside down or you will cause the liquid to leak out and trigger the fire sprinkler.
- Make sure when you are cleaning the fire sprinkler your hand is steady and you are not shaky because you could accidently knock the trigger and start the sprinklers spraying water everywhere!
- Every few weeks or so whenever you regularly clean your house, give your fire sprinkler heads a quick dust with a dry feather duster very gently so that they will stay clean.
Your automatic fire sprinkler heads can be a life saver if a fire breaks out in your home or business, so make sure that you take good care of them. Giving them a good clean will ensure that you get rid of all of the dust and build up without causing damage to their functionality.
There is a specific method for cleaning your fire sprinkler heads so that you don’t trigger the very sensitive pressure sensor.